Friday 1 April 2011

New Google Chrome Logo


The Story:
Google has introduced a new logo for its internet browser, Chrome. They have opted for a more simplistic look which seems to be following a recent trend and foregoing their original 3D logo.
Reflection and Analysis:
Personally, I preferred the original logo for Chrome as it had more dimension and looked more futuristic when compared to the new ‘geometric’ look of the new logo. I feel as though the 3D configuration suited the brand identity of Chrome better as it seemed more technologically advanced and cutting edge which is how I tend to view Chrome in relation to Internet Explorer. I’m not sure of the rationale behind the change and I couldn’t find much info giving reason for it, but all I could suggest is that Google is following the logo ‘simplification’ trend that has been rampant in recent months (ie. Starbucks, the Gap, Tropicana). I don’t think that this is going to necessarily deter consumers from using Chrome, but I definitely feel that the connotation with new logo will be that of a more ordinary or basic browser as opposed to the advanced and superior browser that I know Chrome to be. For users that are new to Chrome, there could be negative implications for their perception of the brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment